In the lead up to the 2010 Taiwan blog awards I wanted to note some of my favorite Taiwan blogs. Many of these blogs are listed in the blog directory at Taiwanderful and will be in the running for the blog awards. Also check out Bloggers in Taiwan which features a blog every week and has a very comprehensive blog roll.
These blogs do a great job interpreting some of the nuances of Taiwan politics.
- Frozen Garlic – psephology and a look at Taiwan’s election culture
- The Far-Eastern Sweet Potato
- Letters from Taiwan
- The View from Taiwan – great political analysis with bonus cycling adventures
- Taiwan Matters! – led by the irrepressible Tim Maddog
- That’s Impossible
- Dixteel’s Thought on Taiwan
- Claudia Jean
- Jerome Keating
- Facing China
Capturing the beauty of Formosa.
Like the photography blogs above, these blogs also do a wonderful job introducing the beautiful island of Taiwan to the world.
- Hiking Taiwan – awesome reports of hiking in Taiwan’s high mountains
- Taiwan in Cycles – this blog transcends categorisation using the bicycle as a vehicle to discover Taiwan’s history and culture
- A hungry girl’s guide to Taipei – the ultimate guide to food and restaurants in Taipei
- Steven Crook – author of several books about Taiwan
- Sponge Bear
- Lao Ren Cha
- Wandering Taiwan
- My Several Worlds
- Tainan City Guide
Highlighting some important environmental issues in Taiwan.
A look at languages in Taiwan. It’s about much more than Chinese.
- Pinyin News – making Mandarin as easy as ABC
- Chinese Hacks
- Taiwanese Identity
- Tailingua – Hoklo Taiwanese language news
- Peggy Teaches Chinese
Personal and Other
All the blogs that don’t fit into the other categories.
- Shu Flies
- Jar of Buttons
- Poagao’s Journal – possibly the longest operating English-language blog in Taiwan
- The New Hampshire Bushman in Taiwan
- The Daily Bubble Tea
- Patrick Cowsill
- Life in Taiwan
- Isla Formosa
- The Wild East
- Alive and kicking! – the life of a TV news reporter in Taiwan
- Tumbling in Taiwan
- Taiwan-Born American
- Matthew Hooper – tech blogger
- Tagging Taichung – Graffiti in Taichung
Please don’t be offended if your blog has been left out. Feel free to mention your own blog in the comments or suggest your own favorites. Also don’t forget if you want to be in the running for the 2010 Taiwan blog awards you need to make sure your blog is registered at Taiwanderful before 1 December.