- Waakao asks where have the betel nut beauties gone?
- Pashan on hiking Snow Mountain. Neil Wade hikes Four Beasts Mountain. Hiking Taiwan on the insane Stinkyhead Mountain.
- Talk Taiwan on problems with Taiwan’s WHA invitation.
- The Far-Eastern Sweet Potato reviews Nixon and Mao: The week that changed the world.
- Jerome has a review by Richard Kagan of a book about Taiwan women’s movements.
- Taiwaneil has photos of the Zhongli MRT under construction.
- Jess enjoys some Taiwanese food.
- The China Beat recommends some web-based Chinese learning tools.
- Craig has photos of Yangmingshan.
News: Freedom House says more on Taiwan press freedom. Leon Chuang of the Association of Taiwan Journalists also concerned about press freedom. Jonathan Adams has more on reactions to the Freedom House report. Michael Goldfarb on creeping reunification. Tsai Ing-wen speaks in Washington D.C. Hsu Yung-ming writes Taiwan is becoming a democratic dictatorship. Annette Lu on promoting a ‘Two China’ policy. Frightening: possibility of Chinese police being stationed in Taiwan.
Taiwan Defence Ministry lends aboriginal servicemen for roles in film Seediq Bale. Clare Wang a good sport after missing out on Queensland tourism job. Freddy Lim launches “T for Tibet” campaign and also announces Free Tibet Concert in Taipei on 11 July 2009. Pingdong professor works to protect the Formosan Black Bear.
Events: World Press Photo Exhibition at B2 of Eslite Dunhua Store in Taipei. The Golden Harvest Film Festival is now on and runs until 17 May. Amnesty International meeting in Taipei on Wednesday 13 May with Linda Arrigo as the guest speaker. On Sunday 17 May the DPP will hold their 517 rally in Taipei.