- Global Voices has a fascinating post on eel fishing in Taiwan.
- Michael Turton on the worshipping of the Yellow Emperor.
- Craig has photos of the Oasis concert in Taipei.
- Fili translates an article on Taiwanese student’s math skills.
- Darren has photos of Guandu Temple.
- Pinyin News has arguments in favour of romanisation.
- Scott Sommers’ blog is now at WordPress. The Wild East profiles Scott.
- Jerome Keating says Taiwan needs resistance art.
- dosivy has photos of Spring Scream.
- Far-Eastern Sweet Potato reports on Wang Jin-pyng press conference.
- Joshua Samuel Brown reviews a Taipei cultural cocktail.
- East Cathay observes history rhymes not repeats.
News: Gerrit Van der wees argues dual recognition is the rational approach. Jonathan Adams on China’s military rise and Taiwan. Asia Times on the declining economy. Taichung City and County set for merger. Lin Cho-shui expresses opposition to city-county mergers.
Event marks the 20th anniversary of the death of Deng Nan-jung (鄭南榕). NGOs criticise Parade & Assembly Law amendments. Justice system is failing the mentally ill. Taiwan-born engineer founds green bank in the US.
10 April marks the 30th anniversary of the Taiwan Relations Act (TRA). Conference in Taipei discusses the TRA. Vincent Wang also looks at 30 years of the TRA. Li Thian-hok writes on the gathering crisis in the Taiwan Strait.
The CCP may be spying on your computer. The Christian Science Monitor also discusses the cyber spy network. Freedom House releases report on internet freedom. Read some more about the Freedom on the Net Index at Global Voices Advocacy.
Taiwanese embrace Indian culture. Taiwan hopes to become an education destination for Indian students. Taiwanese youth take to Australian working holidays. Chinese Antarctic research ship visits Kaohsiung. Taipei Times carries tales of fake panda sex on April Fools’ Day and provokes some mixed reactions.
Events: Memorial for Deng Nan-jung (鄭南榕) at 228 Park in Taipei at 6:00pm Monday 6 April. Blue Sky band are performing at the Thai New Year Concert at Taoyuan Stadium on Sunday 12 April. Michael Turton has details of a seminar on “Dutch Formosa in Perspective” at Academia Sinica on Friday 10 April. Alton advises the Taiwan Wind Ensemble is performing on 9 April in Taipei and 12 April in Taichung. Details here.
Check the Taiwanderful events calendar for details of more events in April.