10 March is the 50th anniversary of the Tibetan Uprising. See below for details of Tibet related events in Taipei and Kaohsiung.
- Phuket Film Festival plans to put spotlight on Taiwanese films.
- My Several Worlds surveys Ximending graffiti.
- Letters from Taiwan on the historical events behind the movie Formosa Betrayed. Anna Wu has photos of the premiere.
- Pashan hikes Beidawu Shan. Hiking Taiwan tramps the Syakaro Historic Trail.
- Save the Dolphins reports on more habitat loss in Mailiao.
- Tea Masters writes about tea powder.
- Claudia Jean summarises the Shadow Government forum on CECA/ECFA.
- there is no ‘i’ in buddhism reviews Parking and Sumimasen, Love.
- Taiwan Racing reports on the Shuangxi Duathlon.
- Rolands visits the tea growing village of Ruifeng.
News: Refugees still waiting for asylum law. Chinese spouses protest against ID discrimination. Legislators seek to amend Nationality Act to clamp down on politicians holding dual citizenship or permanent residency. Kaohsiung to tax polluters. Saisiat people seeking autonomy. Activists plan to make trouble in the Senkaku Islands (hat tip to Brian). Taiwan workers try to deal with costs of unpaid leave.
Tibet events: On 10 March there is march for Tibet starting at 11:00am at Central Park in Kaohsiung and an evening rally at Freedom Square (自由廣場) in Taipei. Tibet documentaries screening at the Kaohsiung Film Archive from 10-14 March 2009. There is also an Images of Tibet exhibition at Kaohsiung City Hall from 10-13 March. There is a Free Tibet rally on 14 March in Taipei. It begins at SOGO (Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT) at 1:00pm and then there is a march to Taipei 101.
Events: The Tour de Taiwan is racing through Chiayi (Monday), Taichung (Tuesday), Changhua (Wednesday), Hsinchu (Thursday) and Taipei County (Friday) this week. The final stage is a criterium around Taipei City Hall on the morning of Saturday 14 March. You can get the race results at www.cyclingnews.com. Taipei Cycle is on at the TWTC Nangang Exhibition Centre from 17-20 March.
Update: Thai band Blue Sky featuring MJ Klein on guitar are playing the Bitan Music Fest on Sunday 15 March between 15:00 and 17:00.
Amnesty International Taipei English speaking group meets at 7:30pm on Wednesday 11 March. On Sunday 15 March there is an anti-gambling rally to protest against the proposed casino on Penghu. It starts at 1:00pm at Freedom Square in Taipei.