Happy Niú Year!
- Shan Ding Lu has a photo essay of Daliao, site of the recent poisonous gas leaks.
- Scott Sommers gives an overview of English teaching jobs in Taiwan.
- Tim Maddog writes down is up in Ma’s world.
- Fili recommends places to eat in Tainan.
- Mouse Eared Kiwi on the New Year party at ICLP.
- David Moser’s obituary for John DeFrancis.
- My Taiwan Times tests a new kind of toilet.
- Clever Claire shows KMT website survey doesn’t allow disagreement.
- A-gu on economic growth and government spending.
- The Fool’s Paradise on working in Taiwan Radio.
Events: If you’re in the south of Taiwan there is still time to join the Aboriginal Invitational Live Music in Pingdong County on 26-27 January.
There are some interesting events coming up. Freak Out Beast is a free music event featuring 88 Balaz, Kou Chou Ching, White Eyes and Rabbit is Rich at the Red Theatre in Ximending on 31 January and 1 February. The Taipei Book Fair is on from 5-9 February (4 Feb trade only). Amnesty International is marking Red Hand Day with a documentary screening in Taipei on 12 February. The Bitan Music Festival is taking place on weekends from now until the end of March.
There are a number of events for the Lantern Festival (元宵節). In Taipei City it runs from 6-15 February at Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall and Taipei City Hall. The 2009 Taiwan Lantern Festival is on at the Yilan County Sports Park from 9-22 February. The Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival (平溪天燈節) runs from 26 January to 9 February.
In the news: Taiwan scholars write their third letter on the erosion of justice and the GIO Minister responds. Michael Hsiao on saving Taiwan’s democracy. The Financial Times has a translation of an excerpt from Chen Shui-bian’s new book. Council of Grand Justices makes an important interpretation on lawyer-client confidentiality.