- A-gu on the Taiwan independence movement.
- Barking Deer has instructions for DIY climbing Snow Mountain (雪山).
- A hungry girl recommends the chocolate cake at Pozzo.
- Patrick argues McCain is better for Taiwan. He also has McCain’s statement on Taiwan.
- Chris hikes from Ergeshan to Shiding.
- Isla Formosa on Double Ten feng shui.
- Shan Ding Lu visits the Qijin Island fish market.
- Claudia Jean on the KMT attacking freedom of speech.
- Thoth discovers a beautiful lake in Miaoli. Taiwaneil visits the Flying Cow Ranch, also in Miaoli.
- Jerome Keating suggests some names for pandas.
- The Far Eastern Sweet Potato writes why Taiwan got the weapons.
Events: The Women Make Waves Film Festival is on at the Shinkong Cineplex in Ximending from 17-26 October. Amnesty International English speaking group meets in Taipei at 7:30pm on 15 October. More details here or at Facebook.
Media: Jonathan Adams on how the Taiwan arms deal affects the US-China relationship. Taiwan seeks pandas in exchange for deer and goats. Conservationists say Taiwan’s wetlands are quickly diminishing.
Opinion piece in the Taipei Times about the importance of PTS (Taiwan’s Public Television Service). DPP legislators also criticised the government over its interference in the media. Michael Turton has an excellent post on how PTS, RTI and CNA are coming under political control by the KMT. He follows up with details of the response from the International Federation of Journalists.