Links 8 September 2008
- Jerome Keating on Taiwan’s political gravy train.
- Claudia Jean finds the numbers on Chinese tourists come up short.
- I-fan Lin at Global Voices on plans to tear down the UFO houses.
- The Foreigner writes Taiwan’s four bronze medals are not so bad.
- Michael Turton on the stock market that keeps on falling.
- Fili writes about the 2009 World Games for an Israeli newspaper (Hebrew with English translation).
- Pinyin News on the Ma government’s plans for teaching Taiwanese.
- Mad about Shanghai on an NT$ for RMB scam in Shanghai.
- Lao Ren Cha recommends some Taipei teahouses.
In the news: Nuclear waste is piling up as the government searches for a permanent storage site. Taiwan Journal reports on the HSR’s impact on planes and buses and the making of a movie about the Atayal. Taipei Times article about Muslims in Taiwan. NCU designs a scooter that runs on compressed air.
Events: Urban Nomad is having a series of free screenings as part of the Taipei Biennial. The first is on Sunday 14 September at the Taipei Arts Park and then on Saturday nights at the Taiwan Beer Factory. Check the website for the full details.
Radio Taiwan International’s Chat Room and culture.tw have lots of great information about what’s happening in Taiwan. More Taiwan related links can be found in my shared items at Google Reader and Taiwan delicious links.